Thursday, March 1, 2012

February's End

"Those who have lived a good life do not fear death, but meet it calmly, and even long for it in the face of great suffering. But those who do not have a peaceful conscience, dread death as though life means nothing but physical torment. The challenge is to live our life so that we will be prepared for death when it comes."
   ~Unknown

I love this quote. This is exactly how I want to live my life, and this is exactly how my Dadaji lived his life. 

I've only had to deal with death of a close one twice before in my life. Once when I was 6 or 7 and my aunt passed away. I was too young to fully comprehend what exactly was happening that day.

The second time was when my dear friend passed away. We were best friends in middle school, different high schools caused us to drift, but once we ended up at UNC together, freshmen year was just like middle school, except with no parental restrictions this time around. We were much closer our first year than when we graduated, but we still managed to keep in touch. Then came that summer day in 2010 when I heard she had passed away. I was in shock, someone so young couldn't just go. She was an amazing girl with the best intentions inside her heart. I was insanely scared of going to her funeral alone but I knew it was something I had to do or else, I'd regret it for the rest of my life. It hurt me so much to see her family deal with such a tragic loss. I looked through her albums and saw so many pictures of us together having fun and it just added fuel to the hurt inside. Every now and then, something happens and I think of her and hope she's at peace. 

My Dadji has been in my life for so long I never really thought about what life would be like if he wasn't around. Granted, he was hard of hearing and losing his sight due to glaucoma but he was always there. Going about his day, with any complaints, always wishing me well and praying for my well being. It will definitely take some getting used to, not seeing him in "his spot" when I go to visit my uncle anymore.

I was extremely upset when it happened but I've accepted it now. I think I was more upset with having to see my mom so distraught and not being able to do anything about it more than anything else. He was old and I truly think he was ready to go. He had lived a good life, he raised his five children, he saw his five grandchildren settle down with their own new families, and he was able to play with all four of his great-grandchildren. What a good life to live. Rest in peace, Dadaji.

No comments:

Post a Comment