Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dressing the Part

I've always had a loving relationship with clothes, handbags, shoes, and accessories. I must admit, I can be a bit materialistic. But really, who can live without their favorite hangbag? Or that top that just works? I've realized that the majority of my wardrobe can be defined as statement pieces. Pairing items together can be quite tricky; I can't just wear throw on my burgandy trench, grab my blue satchel and put on my cognac colored boots, now can I? This answers Kunal's question of "You have so many clothes, how do you not know what to wear?"

Now that I'm a "grown up" and a working professional, I was super excited to dress the part. Pencil skirts, pretty silk blouses, patent leather heels, the works! But I work in a lab, where my day to day attire consists of steel-toes shoes, a lab coat, and a hair net. Oh, and we are allowed to wear jeans. So on my way to my "big girl job", I dress like I'm going to middle school.

I used to wear dress pants at least, but working with skincare items all day is a risk to their appearance. Why would I want to wear something that can easily be stained with foundation? Clearly my fun lab job doesn't allow for my fun wardrobe. The labs on Bones and CSIi are so misleading. Who really analyzes blood in a khaki suit? About 95% of my body is covered and I definitely don't work with any bio-hazards.

1 comment: