Monday, October 29, 2012

Chi-Town

One of the best times about being in your 20s and settled with a steady income is travelling spur of the moment. Case in point, on Thursday around 10am, I decided to take a weekend trip...to Chicago. Flights were not too expensive and Kunal's cousin, Rati was having a katha for her new house. All of Kunal's family was going and we decided to join. Since I was taking Friday and Monday off and Kunal had to be back in NJ for work on Monday we had to take different flights. Lucky duck, Kunal had a direct flight while I had a layover. During my layover in Cincinnati, I discovered the airport had a Chickfila! Woo hoo, yay for me, I got a chicken biscuit! Kunal was jealous.

Once we arrived, we went into downtown with the cousins to sightsee since Kunal and Nishan had not gotten a chance to explore Chicago before. After a delicious lunch of sushi at Niu we went to Navy Pier, Michigan Avenue, and Millennium Park. Kunal's niece was with us and she is a super adorable toddler which made sightseeing very fun. Kunal's parents and sister flew in that night and we all met up for dinner at Rati's inlaws' house. After dinner, we went to a grand opening of Hop Scotch Bar which specializes in beer on tap and whiskeys. I absolutely love the name!

Saturday, Kunal and I met up with my cousin and his wife for brunch. It was great to see them and get a chance to have actual conversation since the last time we saw them was at their wedding! The katha was that afternoon and it took up most of the day with the ceremony followed by dinner. That night after everyone left and the 'kids' wants to do something, we went to a local bar for some drinks and food where we had the best pizza ever. It was cut in squares, which I love and the crust was so crispy and the toppings so fresh. They were having a halloween party so we got fun necklaces, hats, masks, and vampire teeth.

I was originally meant to leave Monday morning but I decided to change my flight after all coverage about Hurricane Sandy making her NJ debut. Good thing I did since EWR is closed today..and tomorrow, and who knows when it would open again. I'm glad we were able to go to Chicago to see the family and it just made us even more excited for Boston in 2 weeks when we'll see them all again!

Here are some pictures from the BEAN! Last one is from Navy Pier.





In the meantime, Kunal and I are at home with symptoms of cabin fever due to the hurricane. We are okay so far, it has been extremely windy but luckily our power hasn't gone out. I hope everyone else in the Northeast is safe during the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment